GER Sports & Social Club, Robingoodfellows Lane, March, Cambridgeshire PE15 8HS TEL: 01354 652335
Briefly, About Us
The GER Sports Club is a private members club which is CIU affiliated, situated near the centre of March, Cambridgeshire.
The Club is open 7 days a week, licensed 12 noon until 12 midnight (subject to changes).
We stock a wide range of Beers Ciders spirits, wines and soft drinks including Carling, Grolsch, Worthingtons, Guiness, Stowford Press, Doombar and guest ales all available on Draught served by our Staff Shirley, Gemma, Kim, Chris and Caren
We have Sky TV shown on a 50inch screen in the bar and a big screen in the function room both in HD
The GER has several teams including darts, dominoes, crib, pool, short mat bowls, golf society, Outdoor Bowls.
The Club home to the Cambridgeshire County Darts Team.
The GER was founded in 1947 by a group of railway men hence the name, The Great Eastern Railway Sports Club. The land on which the Club stands was purchased in 1921. A bowls Club was formed in 1922. On this land the railwaymen of March decided to build a club house to create good relations between the Railwaymen and Towns folk of March. The Club was finished in 1947. When the club was opened it was said to be the best in the country.
The GER features an underground cellar 14ft square (although not used now). While the cellar was being dug the workmen hit an underground spring. A water pump had to be fitted and is still used today to keep the water away.. Buried in the cellar is a time capsule containing a bottle of Light Ale, a bottle of Brown Ale and coins of the realm
The GER celebrated it's 50th Anniversary in 1997 and it's 60th in 2007 and is looking forward to the next major celebration in 2017 when the Club is 70 years old!
The facilities of the Club include:
- A pleasant members bar area, with seating for about 100, in which to socialise and enjoy a drink.
- A pool table is located in the bar. We enter a team in the local pool league.
- A thriving darts section, darts is played on Monday, Thursday and Friday nights.
- Home to the Cambridgeshire County Darts team
- A concert hall which holds 200 people, members functions take place some Saturday nights.
- An Outdoor Bowls green with teams entering the local leagues
- A popular Golf Section that has about 30 members who play at different courses throughout the year.
- Crib & Domino teams are entered into the local leagues.
- A thriving Bingo section which is attended by about 90 members on Tuesdays each week.
- Sky television with both Sky & BT Sport for all sports events.
- Big Screen HD for all the major competitions.
- A busy social section that provides different activities for members throughout the year, including weekly raffles, draws and regular quiz nights.
- Home to the Great Northern Soul Nights.
The GER also owns the football ground which is currently the home of March Town United F.C.
The PDF File below is an original share certificate issued to members of the club when it opened
Share cert Squid.jpg
Size : 955.674 Kb
Type : jpg